Louisiana Auto Insurance
There are so many ways that Louisiana is unique from the rest of the nation. From its Napoleonic code and its blend of Creole and Cajun influences to its deep Southern roots and its Bayou lifestyle, Louisiana isn't just a state; it's a state of mind. Unfortunately, this one-of-a-kind way of living has its price. Louisiana leads the nation in terms of how much its drivers pay for auto insurance - which can strain the bank accounts of any resident in the Pelican State.
Auto insurance rates in Louisiana can vary more than you might think from one insurance company to another. That’s where Auto Insurance Specialists can help!
Try our simple form for an AIS Instant Quote®. This quote will be a range of our auto insurance partners' rates for the coverage you select and you can pick the price you like, too.
Required Auto Insurance in Louisiana
State law in Louisiana mandates that every person who owns and operates a vehicle must always possess a liability insurance policy in good standing. This type of auto insurance is designed to safeguard drivers from incurring large expenditures that stem from injuries and property damage sustained in an auto accident that they cause. Simply put, if someone else is hurt and/or their vehicle (or other property) is damaged because of an accident for which you are responsible, they can file a claim against your liability coverage, and your insurer will reimburse them up to your policy's limits.
State Minimum Liability Coverage in the Louisiana:
BI or Bodily Injury: $15,000 per person, $30,000 per accident
- PD or Property Damage: $25,000 per accident
To learn more about specific auto insurance coverage, visit our Car Insurance Coverage page.
Optional Coverage in Louisiana to Consider
However, drivers in Louisiana may not be fully protected from fiscal troubles if they only purchase the minimum auto insurance required by law. For this reason, insurers in the state offer several types of optional coverage which can help minimize the chances of being hit with exorbitant property damage or medical costs.
Below are some examples you may want to consider:
- Collision Coverage: Here's something you may not be aware of: the typical auto repair bill in the U.S. is around $3,000. If you don't have that kind of money at your disposal, then you could be in trouble if you damage your vehicle in a crash. Collision coverage will reimburse you for repair costs to your vehicle within policy limits, so you don't have to go without a working car for a long period of time.
- Comprehensive Coverage: Louisiana residents are no stranger to inclement weather like hurricanes, thunderstorms, hail, and flooding. A comprehensive auto insurance policy will pay for repairs to your vehicle in the event it is damaged by Mother Nature. In addition, comprehensive coverage reimburses you in the event your vehicle is stolen, vandalized, or damaged by fire.
- Higher Bodily Injury Limits: In today's health care climate, it is very easy for a person to run up medical bills of $15,000 for a hospital visit. If that's the upper limit of your liability policy, any costs above that amount could come out of your own pocket. That's why it may be wise to increase your bodily injury limits on your liability coverage.
- Higher Property Damage Limits: Also, a serious accident has the potential to cause significant damage to other vehicles, buildings, or land. If these total costs exceed the property damage limit on your liability policy, you could be sued in court for the difference. If you do a lot of driving in Louisiana, you may want to consider upping your property damage limits on your liability coverage.
If you have any questions about how you can benefit from any of these optional coverages, a qualified AIS specialist would be happy to answer them. Even though you don't need to buy these policies to comply with the law, many Louisianans find that they are valuable in protecting their assets.
Louisiana Auto Insurance Discounts
If you want to save money on your auto insurance in Louisiana, your best bet is to look for discounts for which you may qualify. Most insurers offer discounts for a wide variety of reasons, and you could possibly see savings of hundreds of dollars a year on your premiums.
Here are some examples of popular auto insurance discounts:
- Safe driver
- Good student
- Accident free
- And more…
To learn more about specific discounts, visit our Discounts page.
There's nothing quite like life in Louisiana. However, between unpredictable weather, busy highways, and long and winding rural roads, perils await Louisiana drivers almost everywhere. As a result, you need to be prepared by acquiring an auto insurance policy that protects you from financial ruin. Auto Insurance Specialists has the skills and expertise to acquire an affordable auto insurance policy that suits your needs. So if you love the drive in the Pelican State, let AIS get you a Louisiana auto insurance policy that protects your vehicle and your family.
Start a Louisiana Insurance Quote Today: (888) 772-4247