Maine Auto Insurance
Maine has one of the oldest Scenic Byway Programs in the country, making it an ideal place for exploration by driving. You can choose roads that lead to magnificent mountains, through the natural autumn beauty of New England, or to the historic villages of Maine. Wherever you choose to drive, as a resident of Maine, you would be required to carry the minimum auto insurance whenever you are out on the road.
This is where AIS can help! We do the search and find the lowest rates and best coverage for you, so you can spend more time on the road knowing that you are covered.
Required Maine Auto Insurance
The state of Maine requires you to have coverage for liability, medical payments, and uninsured/underinsured motorist. Driving without meeting these auto insurance requirements in Maine can lead to a fine. Avoid wasting your money on unnecessary fines, let AIS help you choose which coverage is best for your needs and budget.
State Minimum Liability Coverage in Maine
Your Auto Insurance must have liability coverage with these minimum amounts:
- BI or Bodily Injury: $50,000 per person; $100,000 for injuries to multiple people in an accident
- PD or Property Damage: $25,000 per accident
Medical Payments Minimum Coverage
Medical Payments Coverage should have these minimum amounts:
- Medical Payments Coverage: $2,000 per person
Uninsured Motorist Minimum Coverage
Your uninsured motorist coverage must be equal to your liability coverage, which means you can’t have coverage that is lower than the state minimum requirement.
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage: $50,000 per person; $100,000 total per accident
Optional Coverage in Maine to Consider
You might find that the minimum state requirements for Maine Auto Insurance won’t sufficiently cover your expenses related to an accident, should one occur.
- Collision Coverage - This coverage assists in costs of damages that result from a collision with another vehicle or object.
- Comprehensive - This helps with paying for costs that are associated with damages that come from instances other than by collision, such as: vandalism, theft, fire, and floods.
- Rental Reimbursement Coverage - This pays for a portion or all of your rental car expenses, when your car is getting repaired from an accident.
- Towing and Labor - This pays for the expenses of towing, up to the limits of your policy for this coverage.
- Loan/Lease Coverage (GAP Coverage) - This covers the difference between the actual monetary value of your car at the time of loss and the balance you still owe on that vehicle. This saves you from having to pay off your loan/lease when your car is no longer drivable.
- Umbrella Policies* - A way to have higher liability limits without greatly increasing your premium is to purchase an umbrella policy. The umbrella policy will protect you above your liability coverage and also cover some losses that are not included in liability insurance.
*To get an umbrella policy, it is typically required that you have the following limits of bodily injury liability insurance: $250,000 per person; $500,000 total per accident.
Most Stolen Car Models in Maine
According to www.nicb.org, the following list is of Maine’s most stolen cars in 2013. If your car is considered a common target for theft, you may find that your car insurance rate is higher.
- Ford Pickup (Full Size)
- GMC Pickup (Full Size)
- Chevrolet Pickup (Full Size)
- Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee
- Ford Focus
- Honda Civic
- Dodge Caravan
- Subaru Legacy
- Ford Taurus
- Dodge Pickup (Full Size)
Maine Auto Insurance Discounts
When shopping for car insurance policies, you should be asking about discounts that you may qualify for. The best way to get lower rates is to make sure you maintain a good driving record and continue to drive safely at all times. Here are some of the discounts to ask your AIS Insurance specialist about:
- Good student
- Safety device
- Anti-theft device
- Low mileage
- Multiple vehicles
- Multiple policies (auto and home)
- Driver education
To learn more about specific discounts, visit our Discounts page.
People choose to live in Maine because of the gorgeous seaside views and small town, homey atmosphere. There are many places to explore in all seasons of the year, but all tend to involve some amount of driving. Keeping yourself protected financially and legally with the required auto insurance will keep your trips fun. For those that don’t want to spend days looking for the best rates and coverage amongst hundreds of carriers, AIS is here to help. We do the work for you, finding the best rates and coverage from our 30+ partners for you. The eager-to-help professionals at AIS can be an instrumental asset to Maine drivers. For information and a free quote on a Maine auto insurance policy, call AIS today!
Start a Maine Insurance Quote Today: (888) 772-4247