South Dakota Auto Insurance
The Mount Rushmore State is famous for what it’s named after, the enormous mountainside sculpture of 4 former American presidents. A predominantly farming and ranching society, this Great Plains state is bisected by the Missouri River which divides South Dakota into what locals call “East River” and “West River.” You’ll find a few national parks here as well as hot springs.
You’ll need to get around in an automobile to see this expansive state and to get around in general. You’ll also want to be covered with just the right insurance required by law.
This is where Auto Insurance Specialists is here to help you. We will compare coverage options and rates from several different carriers before you decide what you want and need.
Try our simple form for an AIS Instant Quote®. You’ll never believe how easy it is to get the best plan at just the right price-tag.
Required South Dakota Auto Insurance
In South Dakota, liability and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage are required by law. Not only are you and the other driver covered by insurance, even if you’re at fault, but you’ll also be able to pay for damages if the at-fault driver has no insurance or not enough of it to cover the costs.
State Minimum Liability Coverage in South Dakota:
- $25,000 for bodily injury or death, per person.
- $50,000 for bodily injury or death to multiple people in an accident.
- $25,000 for property damage
- Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist:You must have this type of coverage in South Dakota in case the other driver doesn’t have insurance or if his/her insurance doesn’t cover all costs. Uninsured and underinsured motorist insurance covers injuries you may incur as a result of an accident.
Driving without insurance in South Dakota can result in the following:
- $100 fine.
- 30 days in jail.
- License suspension for up to 1 year
- Mandatory proof of insurance for 3 years.
Optional Coverage in South Dakota to Consider
While you’re not required by law to carry the following types of coverage, you may first want to assess what the costs would be out-of-pocket without any insurance coverage at all. You may find that paying a few more dollars a month makes more sense for you. Or, you may feel that you’re financially stable enough to pay for an expensive accident if you find yourself involved in an accident.
The following are additional types of protection:
- Medical payments – Covers your medical costs after an accident, up to limits.
- Auto loan/lease – Helps cover the difference between the amount you owe on your vehicle and the current actual cash value.
- Rental reimbursement - If you do find yourself in an accident, you may not be able to operate your car. If you opt for the coverage, insurance pays for the rental car you’ll need up to certain limits.
- Collision Coverage - If you are in a collision involving other vehicles, this option helps pay for damages to your car, which are usually costly.
- Comprehensive Coverage - This coverage pays for costs of car damage from: door dings, vandalism, floods, and more.
- Higher Bodily Injury Limits - The $15,000 per person minimum requirement by law may not be enough to cover the costs of physical injuries. There are ambulance rides, hospital visits, treatment, and more.
- Higher Property Damage Limits - Some accidents don't involve other vehicles but do included fences, light poles, or even buildings. The $10,000 minimum may not be enough to cover all the damage, which you'll have to pay for yourself if you don't have this type of coverage.
Most Stolen Car Models in South Dakota
At AIS we know that the best you can do to keep your insurance rates low is to drive safely and avoid accidents, there are other factors that determine rates. One of these is your car’s make and model. If your car is a popular target for theft, your insurance rates may go up.
The following are the 10 most stolen cars in South Dakota according to nicb.org:
1. Ford Pickup (Full Size).
2. Chevrolet Pickup (Full Size).
3. Ford Taurus.
4. Buick Lesabre.
5. Dodge Pickup (Full Size).
6. Pontiac Grand Prix.
7. GMC Pickup (Full Size).
8. Ford Explorer.
9. Pontiac Grand Am.
10. Chevrolet Impala.
South Dakota Auto Insurance Discounts
At AIS we don’t underestimate how much discounts can lower your premium. Speak with your auto insurance specialist about the following auto insurance discounts that are available to South Dakota residents:
• Good driver
• Good student
• Driver training
• Vehicle safety