What does it mean for you?

What Is An AB 60 Driver’s License?

The California Assembly Bill 60 (AB 60), or the Safe and Responsible Driver Act is a law that was passed by the California State Legislature in September 2013. It went into effect on January 1, 2015 and requires the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to issue drivers licenses to undocumented residents over the age of 16 who can prove their identity and meet other requirements.

With AB 60, California joined a list of states allowing undocumented workers to drive legally, including Connecticut, Colorado, Maryland, Oregon, New Mexico, Illinois, Washington, Nevada and Utah.

How Does The California Assembly Bill 60 Affect California Drivers?

AB 60 impacts all California drivers, directly or indirectly.

  • Undocumented Residents: These residents benefit the most from this law as it allows them to apply for a California driver’s license and drive legally with the protections that affords. It’s important to know that the citizenship status and residency information provided to get your license cannot be given to or used by police or other law enforcement to investigate, arrest, or detain undocumented workers.
  • Citizens and Legal Residents: Although there is no direct impact on U.S. citizens and legal residents, AB 60 brought more drivers onto California’s roads. The good news, however, is that now more drivers on the road are licensed and insured making our roads safer for everyone.

Is A License Under AB 60 Different?

An AB 60 license has a visible mark stating, “Federal Limits Apply,” to indicate that it cannot be used for certain federal purposes.

How Do I Apply For An AB 60 Driver’s License?

To apply for an original driver’s license, you will need to do the following:

At your DMV appointment, you will need to:

  • Pay the application fee.
  • Provide Proof of Identity and California Residency at your DMV appointment.
  • Pass a vision test, knowledge test, and if applicable, a road sign test.
  • Give your thumbprint.
  • Get your photo taken.
  • Schedule a future DMV appointment for a behind-the-wheel driving test.
Note: Applicants under the age of 18 will also need to provide proof they have completed driver education training.

Do I Need Proof Of Auto Insurance To Get A Driver’s License?

Yes, before you can take your behind-the-wheel driving test, you must show proof of Car Insurance for the vehicle you are driving. This insurance must have at least California’s minimum insurance requirements. 

What Are California’s Auto Insurance Requirements?

There’s a big difference between California’s Car Insurance requirements and what YOU will require to protect your family and finances. 

California’s minimum requirements are 15/30/5, or, in other words, Liability Insurance coverage of:

  • $15,000 for injury/death to one person
  • $30,000 for injury/death to more than one person
  • $5,000 for damage to property

This Liability Insurance only covers damage you cause to others and does NOT cover your vehicle, medical bills, etc.

We recommend you talk to an Auto Insurance Specialist to assess your needs and help you choose a policy that protects you and fits your budget. Most drivers choose to have higher Liability Insurance limits and include optional coverages such as Collision, Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage, Rental Car, or Medical Payments, as well.

Why Choose AIS For Your Insurance Needs?

We’re Auto Insurance Specialists, so you can count on us to help you understand this law and take advantage of the benefits.

Experience. AIS has been in business for over 50 years. You can trust us to help you find dependable, affordable insurance coverage at a great rate.

Savings. AIS represents only reputable licensed insurance companies and we can compare the rates of over 30 companies for you at once to find the lowest rate.

No Broker Fees. We're your agent and advocate. We don't charge broker fees on top of your policy premium so that you save even more! Remember that you do NOT need to pay high broker fees to get or keep Auto Insurance. 

Contact Us. If you need Car Insurance, we can help you get it, usually on the same day. Call us at  800-772-4247  or visit or to get started.