The Last Frontier
Compare Alaska Auto Insurance Quotes From Multiple Companies
Alaska Auto Insurance
Alaska is one of the top places to visit for many adventurers, so if you get to live in this majestic state, consider yourself lucky. With approximately 34,000 miles of shoreline, there are plenty of opportunities to go on driving adventures as most roads are now paved and welcoming of travelers.
During winter months, however, you’ll often find yourself on long stretches of road without civilization for hundreds of miles. You may also come across unpaved roads in some areas. In the summer months, it’s normal to see construction going on to maintain road quality. During all seasons, there are dangers on the road in Alaska, so you’ll want the best protection for you and your family. This is where Auto Insurance from AIS can help.
Try our simple form for an AIS Instant Quote®. The results will give you rates from our Auto Insurance partners and a range of prices to fit your budget.
Required Auto Insurance in Alaska
Alaskans are required to have Auto Insurance coverage that includes Liability Insurance. Having this insurance coverage will ensure that damage caused to a third person’s property or another person’s bodily injuries will be financially covered up to the amount stated on your policy. Not having the required insurance in place can result in a suspension of your driver’s license.
State Minimum Liability Coverage in Alaska
- BI or Bodily Injury: $50,000 per person, $100,000 total per accident
- PD or Property Damage: $25,000 per accident
To learn more about specific Auto Insurance coverage, visit our Car Insurance Coverage page.
Optional Coverage in Alaska
Although you can legally drive with the minimum coverage listed above, you may not have enough financial protection if you get into an accident. There are optional coverages that can be added onto your Auto Insurance policy for extra protection. Each type of coverage protects you
Consider these coverages when you purchase or review your Auto Insurance policy:
- Collision Coverage*: In an accident that was the insured driver’s fault, this coverage pays for the related costs incurred. The average bill to fix a vehicle from an auto body shop is around $3,000. You won’t want to have to pay this out of your own pocket. Collision coverage will compensate you for damages resulting from a collision, whether it's with another vehicle or something else.
- Comprehensive Coverage*: This will cover you for damages to your car that were not a result of an accident. This optional coverage is important to consider when you think about the dangers that come with Alaskan weather, in addition to the common mishaps that can happen your vehicle. Mishaps that this type of coverage will compensate for can include fallen trees, fires, flood
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage: Not all motorists will abide by the law and have the minimum Alaska Auto Insurance to legally drive. In the case that you get into an accident with an uninsured or underinsured motorist, this coverage will pay for associated costs (within policy limits) if the accident was not your fault.
- Medical Payments: This will pay for your own medical costs that result after an accident, up to your policy limits.
*Although Collision coverage and Comprehensive coverage are not required by law, they may be required in your car loan or lease contract with the lender.
You are under no obligation to purchase any of these additional Auto Insurance coverages. However, they may be more affordable than you think, and it’s hard to put a price on peace of mind. If you think additional coverage may be right for you, call us at Auto Insurance Specialists to add extra protection to your policy.
Most Stolen Car Models in Alaska
Premiums for cars that are more likely to be stolen will often come at a higher rate. This is because the risk is higher that there will be a claim for theft. In 2017, the following car models were stolen the most in Alaska, according to www.nicb.org:
- Chevrolet Pickup (Full size)
- Ford Pickup (Full size)
- GMC Pickup (Full size)
- Dodge Pickup (Full size)
- Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee
- Honda Civic
- Honda Accord
- Ford Explorer
- Subaru Legacy
- Ford Focus
Alaska Auto Insurance Discounts
There are a few things to discuss with your Auto Insurance Specialist that can give you access to savings on your premium. If you are qualified by any of the below, there’s a chance that you can get a discount on your insurance.
Some examples of these Alaska Auto Insurance Discounts include:
- Good Driver
- Good Student
Learn more about discounts you can apply to your Auto Insurance premium on our Discounts page.
Alaska is a beautiful land that encourages extensive driving excursions. Save time and money by speaking with an AIS agent. We’ll help you understand what coverages you