The First State
Compare Delaware Auto Insurance Quotes From Multiple Companies
Delaware Auto Insurance
Residents of Delaware find the state to be peaceful and quiet. There are miles of tranquil beaches and friendly towns to take in as a resident or visitor. Though it is a small state, all seasons are felt in extreme. This can cause dangerous driving conditions for Delawareans. Precautions should be taken whenever you’re driving because anything can happen.
To protect yourself financially in cases of car accidents that cause damages or injuries, state law requires Delaware drivers to have Auto Insurance. Auto Insurance rates in Alabama can vary more than you might think from one insurance company to another. That’s where Auto Insurance Specialists can help!
Try our simple form for an AIS Instant Quote®. This quote will be a range of our Auto Insurance partners' rates for the coverage you select. You can pick the price you like, too.
Required Auto Insurance in Delaware
The requirements of Auto Insurance are in place to protect you from having to pay out of pocket. The minimum you must have is Liability Insurance coverage for bodily injuries as well as property damage that happens to a third party involved in the accident with your car. In addition to Liability coverage, drivers in Delaware are required to maintain Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage, too.
To make sure that all driving residents of Delaware are properly insured, the Delaware Department of Motor Vehicles can perform audits on cars for proof of insurance. You don’t want to be caught and convicted, as consequences include suspension of your driver’s license for 6 months or a fine between $1000 and $3000.
State Minimum Liability Coverage in Delaware
- BI or Bodily Injury: $25,000 per person, $50,000 per accident
- PD or Property Damage: $10,000 per accident
State Minimum Personal Injury Protection (PIP) in Delaware
- BI or Bodily Injury: $15,000 per person, $30,000 per accident
- PD or Property Damage: $15,000 per accident
Having PIP will also help pay for funeral expenses up to $5,000.
To learn more about specific Auto Insurance coverage, visit our Car Insurance Coverage page.
Optional Coverage in Delaware
Below are additional coverage options that you should also consider when purchasing Delaware Car Insurance, so that you can be protected even more:
- Collision Coverage*: Liability Insurance is sufficient for paying for the damage to other people's property or vehicles. But if your car is dented, smashed up or put out of service, Liability coverage won't pay to get your vehicle fixed. Collision coverage will, if you add it to your policy. Since the average auto shop bill tends to be around $3,000, these expenses could take a big bite out of your budget if you aren't properly insured.
- Comprehensive Coverage*: If your car is stolen, burned, vandalized or damaged by weather like hurricanes, floods or hail, Collision Insurance won't pay to get it repaired or replaced. Comprehensive Auto Insurance coverage handles just about every type of mishap that doesn't involve a crash or collision.
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage: There will be drivers on the road who are not insured or do not have enough Car Insurance, so this type of coverage will protect you from the costs associated with a car accident if the other party is at fault. Without this type of coverage, you may have to pay out of pocket for your own injuries and/or damages after an accident that was not your fault.
- Towing and Labor: This covers you for towing and labor costs when your car breaks down.
- Rental: Depending on the policy and carrier, you can receive an allowance for car rentals when your car becomes unusable.
*Although Collision coverage and Comprehensive coverage are not required by law, they may be required in your car loan or lease contract with the lender.
You are under no obligation to purchase any of these optional Auto Insurance policies. But if you think that they may be right for you, feel free to call us at Auto Insurance Specialists to see about getting additional coverage.
Most Stolen Car Models in Delaware
If you drive a car that tends to be targeted for theft, you could see higher Auto Insurance rates for your vehicle. In 2017, these were the top 10 cars that were stolen in Delaware according to www.nicb.org:
- Honda Civic
- Honda Accord
- Chevrolet Malibu
- Ford Pickup (Full Size)
- Hyundai Sonata
- Chevrolet Impala
- Chevrolet Pickup (Full Size)
- Hyundai Elantra
- Nissan Altima
- Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee
Delaware Auto Insurance Discounts
Discounts can get you better rates, but the best way to receive and maintain low rates is to have a driving record that shows you are a safe and violation-free driver. You can take advantage of these discounts on your Delaware Auto Insurance premium to save some money when you’re shopping around for Car Insurance:
- Safety Device
- Good Driver
- Good Student
- Defensive Driver
- Anti-Theft Device
To learn more about specific discounts, visit our Discounts page.
Residents of Delaware enjoy the peaceful living that their state provides. In order to prevent financial disruption in your life, let AIS help you get the protection that you need. Call an AIS Insurance Specialist to see what discounts you qualify for on your Delaware Auto Insurance.