Delaware Auto Insurance
Residents of Delaware find this state to be peaceful and quiet. There are miles of unspoiled beaches and friendly towns to take in as a resident or visitor. Though it is a small state, all seasons are felt in extreme. This means dangerous driving conditions for Delawareans. Precautions should be taken whenever you’re driving as anything can happen.
To protect yourself financially in cases of car accidents that cause damages or injuries, there is a Delaware Auto Insurance requirement.
Required Delaware Auto Insurance
The requirements of Auto Insurance are in place to protect you from having to pay out of pocket. The minimum you must have is liability coverage for bodily injuries as well as property damage that happens to a third party involved in the accident with your car.
To make sure that all driving residents of Delaware are properly insured, the Delaware Department of Motor Vehicles can perform audits on cars for proof of insurance. You don’t want to be caught and convicted, as consequences include suspension of your driver’s license for 6 months or a fine of $1000 to $3000.
State Minimum Liability Coverage in Delaware
Your Auto Insurance must have liability coverage with these minimum amounts:
- BI or Bodily Injury: $15,000 per person; $30,000 total per accident
- PD or Property Damage: $10,000 per accident
State Minimum Personal Injury Protection in Delaware
In Delaware, you are also required to have Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
- $15,000 for bodily injury to one person in an accident
- $30,000 for bodily injury to multiple people involved in a single accident
Having PIP will also help pay for funeral expenses up to $5,000
Optional Coverage in Delaware to Consider
Below are additional coverage options that you should be considering when purchasing car insurance, so that you can be protected even more.
- Collision* - This helps cover the costs due to damages to your car after a traffic accident.
- Comprehensive* - This coverage helps with the costs of damages to your car caused by non-accident related incidents.
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist - There will be drivers on the road who are not insured or don’t have enough insurance; this covers you from the costs associated with a car accident if the other party is at fault.
- Towing and Labor - This covers you for towing and labor costs when your car breaks down
- Rental - Depending on the policy and carrier, you can receive an allowance for car rentals when your car becomes unusable.
*Comprehensive and Collision coverage isn’t required by the state, however it may be required by your auto loan lender or if you lease a car.
Most Stolen Car Models in Delaware
If you drive a car that tends to be targeted for theft, you might see higher auto insurance rates for your car. In 2013, these were the top 10 cars that were stolen in Delaware according to www.nicb.org
- Honda Civic
- Honda Accord
- Chevrolet Pickup (Full Size)
- Ford Pickup (Full Size)
- Nissan Altima
- Chevrolet Impala
- Dodge Caravan
- Ford Explorer
- Nissan Maxima
- Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee
Delaware Auto Insurance Discounts
You can take advantage of these discounts on your Delaware Auto Insurance premium to save some money when you’re shopping around for car insurance:
- Safety Device
- Good Driver
- Good Student
- Defensive Driver
- Anti-theft Device
Discounts can get you better rates, but the best way to get and maintain low rates is to have a driving record that shows you are a safe and violation-free driver.
To learn more about specific discounts, visit our Discounts page.
Residents of Delaware enjoy the peaceful living that this state provides. In order to prevent financial disruption in your life, let AIS Insurance Specialists help you get the protection that you’ll need. Call an AIS Insurance Specialist to see what discounts you qualify for on your Delaware Auto Insurance.
Start a Delaware Insurance Quote Today: (888) 772-4247