AIS Update on COVID-19: To all auto insurance customers, insurance companies may be issuing premium reductions and relief. We've provided a list of insurance companies and additional information. Learn more.
The Pelican State
Compare Louisiana Auto Insurance Quotes From Multiple Companies
Louisiana Auto Insurance
There are so many ways that Louisiana is unique from the rest of the nation. From its Napoleonic code and blend of Creole and Cajun influences to its deep Southern roots and Bayou lifestyle, Louisiana isn't just a state. It's a state of mind. Unfortunately, this one-of-a-kind way of living comes with a price. Louisiana leads the nation in terms of how much its drivers pay for Auto Insurance. Louisiana Car Insurance can put a strain on the bank accounts of many residents in the Pelican State.
Luckily, our agents are here to help you find adequate coverage at an affordable rate. Auto Insurance rates in Louisiana can vary more than you might think from one insurance company to another. That’s where Auto Insurance Specialists come in!
Try our simple form for an AIS Instant Quote®. This quote will be a range of our Auto Insurance partners' rates for the coverage you select, and you’ll even be able to pick the price you like, too.
Required Auto Insurance in Louisiana
State law in Louisiana mandates that every person who owns and operates a vehicle must always possess a Liability Insurance policy in good standing. This type of Auto Insurance is designed to safeguard drivers from incurring large expenditures from injuries and property damage sustained in an auto accident that they cause. Simply put, if someone else is hurt and/or their vehicle (or other property) is damaged because of an accident for which you are responsible, they can file a claim against your Liability coverage, and your insurer will reimburse them up to your policy's limits.
State Minimum Liability Coverage in Louisiana
- BI or Bodily Injury: $15,000 per person, $30,000 per accident
- PD or Property Damage: $25,000 per accident
To learn more about specific Auto Insurance coverage, visit our Car Insurance Coverage page.
Optional Coverage in Louisiana
Drivers in Louisiana may not be fully protected from fiscal troubles if they only purchase the minimum Auto Insurance required by state law. For this reason, insurers in Louisiana offer several types of optional coverage that can help minimize the chances of being hit with expensive property damage or medical costs.
Below are some examples you may want to consider:
- Collision Coverage*: Here's something you may not be aware of: A typical auto repair bill in the U.S. is around $3,000. If you don't have that kind of cash lying around, then you could be in serious financial trouble if you damage your vehicle in a crash. Collision coverage will reimburse you for repair costs to your vehicle within policy limits, so you don't have to go without a working car for a long period of time.
- Comprehensive Coverage*: Louisiana residents are no stranger to inclement weather like hurricanes, thunderstorms, hail and flooding. A Comprehensive policy will pay for repairs to your vehicle in the event it is damaged by Mother Nature. In addition, Comprehensive coverage reimburses you in the event your vehicle is stolen, vandalized or damaged by fire.
- Higher Bodily Injury Limits: In today's health care climate, it is very easy for a person to run up medical bills of $15,000 for a hospital visit. If that's the upper limit of your Liability Insurance policy, any costs above that amount would come out of your own pocket. That's why it’s wise to consider increasing your Bodily Injury limits on your Liability coverage.
- Higher Property Damage Limits: A serious accident also has the potential to cause significant damage to other vehicles, buildings or land. If these total costs exceed the Property Damage limit on your Liability policy, you could be sued in court for the difference. If you do a lot of driving in Louisiana, you may want to consider upping your Property Damage limits on your Liability coverage to give you better peace of mind.
*Although Collision coverage and Comprehensive coverage are not required by law, they may be required in your car loan or lease contract with the lender.
If you have questions about how you can benefit from any of these optional coverages, a qualified AIS Insurance Specialist would be happy to answer them. Even though you don't need to buy these policies to comply with the law, many Louisianans find that they are valuable in protecting their assets.
Most Stolen Car Models in Louisiana
If you drive a car that tends to be targeted for theft, you could see higher Auto Insurance rates for your vehicle. In 2017, these were the top 10 cars that were stolen in Louisiana according to www.nicb.org:
- Ford Pickup (Full Size)
- Chevrolet Pickup (Full Size)
- Honda Accord
- Nissan Altima
- Toyota Camry
- GMC Pickup (Full Size)
- Chevrolet Impala
- Dodge Pickup (Full Size)
- Toyota Corolla
- Honda Civic
Louisiana Auto Insurance Discounts
If you want to save money on your Auto Insurance in Louisiana, your best bet is to look for discounts that you may qualify. Most insurers offer discounts for a wide variety of reasons, and you could possibly see savings of hundreds of dollars a year on your premium.
Here are some examples of popular Auto Insurance discounts:
- Safe Driver
- Good Student
- Accident Free
To learn more about specific discounts, visit our Discounts page.
There's nothing quite like life in Louisiana. However, between unpredictable weather, busy highways, and long and winding rural roads, perils await Louisiana drivers almost everywhere. As a result, you need to be prepared and compliant to the state law by acquiring an Auto Insurance policy that protects you from financial ruin. Our Insurance Specialists at AIS have the skills and expertise to find you an affordable Auto Insurance policy that suits your needs. If you love the drive in the Pelican State, let AIS get you a Louisiana Car Insurance policy that protects your vehicle and your family.