AIS Update on COVID-19: To all auto insurance customers, insurance companies may be issuing premium reductions and relief. We've provided a list of insurance companies and additional information. Learn more.
The Pine Tree State
Compare Maine Auto Insurance Quotes From Multiple Companies
Maine Auto Insurance
Maine has one of the oldest Scenic Byway Programs in the country, making it an ideal place for exploration by driving. You can choose roads that lead to magnificent mountains, through the natural autumn beauty of New England or through the historic villages of Maine. Wherever you choose to drive, as a resident of Maine, you are required by state law to carry the minimum Auto Insurance coverage whenever you hit the road.
This is where AIS can help! We do the search and find the lowest rates and best coverage for you, so you can spend more time on the road without worrying if you are covered in the case of an accident or mishap.
Required Auto Insurance in Maine
The state of Maine requires you to have coverage for Liability, Medical Payments, and Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists. Driving without meeting these Auto Insurance requirements in Maine can lead to a fine, on top of any money you owe if you get into an accident. Avoid spending your money on damages and unnecessary fines and let AIS help you choose which coverage is best for your needs and budget.
State Minimum Liability Coverage in Maine
- BI or Bodily Injury: $50,000 per person; $100,000 for injuries to multiple people in an accident
- PD or Property Damage: $25,000 per accident
State Minimum Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage in Maine*
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage: $50,000 per person, $100,000 total per accident
*Your Uninsured Motorist Coverage must be equal to your Liability coverage, which means you can’t have coverage that is lower than the state minimum requirement.
State Minimum of Medical Payments Coverage in Maine
Medical Payments Coverage: $2,000 per person
To learn more about specific Auto Insurance coverage, visit our Car Insurance Coverage page.
Optional Coverage in Maine
You might find that the minimum state requirements for Maine Auto Insurance won’t sufficiently cover your expenses related to an accident, should one occur.
Below are optional coverages that can offer you more financial protection:
- Collision Coverage*: This coverage assists in costs of damages that result from a collision with another vehicle or object.
- Comprehensive Coverage*: This helps you pay for costs that are associated with damages that come from sources other than collision, such as vandalism, theft, fire and flood.
- Rental Reimbursement Coverage: This pays for a portion or all of your rental car expenses when your car is getting repaired from an accident.
- Towing and Labor: This pays for the expenses of towing, up to the limits of your policy for this coverage.
- Loan/Lease Coverage (GAP Coverage): This covers the difference between the actual monetary value of your car at the time of loss and the balance you still owe on that vehicle. This saves you from having to pay off your loan/lease when your car is no longer drivable.
- Umbrella Policies: A way to have higher Liability limits without greatly increasing your premium is to purchase an Umbrella policy. An Umbrella policy will protect you above your Liability coverage and also cover some losses that are not included in Liability insurance. To get an Umbrella policy, it is typically required that you have the following limits of Bodily Injury Liability Insurance: $250,000 per person and $500,000 total per accident.
*Although Collision coverage and Comprehensive coverage are not required by law, they may be required in your car loan or lease contract with the lender.
You are under no obligation to purchase any of these optional Auto Insurance policies. But if you think that they may be right for you, feel free to call us at Auto Insurance Specialists to purchase some additional coverage.
Most Stolen Car Models in Maine
If your car is considered a common target for theft, you may find that your Car Insurance rate is higher. The following list is of Maine’s most stolen cars in 2017 according to www.nicb.org:
- Chevrolet Pickup (Full Size)
- Ford Pickup (Full Size)
- GMC Pickup (Full Size)
- Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee
- Toyota Corolla
- Subaru Legacy
- Chevrolet Impala
- Dodge Pickup (Full Size)
- Ford Focus
- Hyundai Elantra
Licensed Drivers in Maine
Maine Auto Insurance Discounts
When shopping for Car Insurance policies, you should ask about discounts that you may qualify for. The best way to get lower rates is to make sure you maintain a good driving record and continue to drive safely at all times.
Here are some of the Maine Auto Insurance discounts to ask your AIS Insurance specialist about:
- Good Student
- Safety Device
- Anti-Theft Device
- Low Mileage
- Multiple Vehicles
- Multiple Policies (Auto and Home)
- Driver Education
To learn more about specific discounts, visit our Discounts page.
People choose to live in Maine because of the gorgeous seaside views and homey, small town atmosphere. There are many places to explore during all seasons of the year, but every place usually involves some amount of driving. Keeping yourself protected financially and legally with the required Auto Insurance will keep your trips fun and worry-free. For those that don’t want to spend hours and hours looking for the best rates and coverage amongst hundreds of carriers, AIS is here to help. We do the work for you, finding you the best rates and coverage from our 30+ partners. The eager-to-help professionals at AIS can be an instrumental asset to Maine drivers. For more information and a free quote on a Maine Auto Insurance policy, call AIS today!