Minnesota Auto Insurance
Minnesotans are proud of their state having more than 11,000 lakes and more than 90,000 miles of shoreline. They boast 19 Fortune 500 companies in the state, so you’re bound to find employment. Minnesotans also don’t have to worry about the awful rush hour traffic that you can find in Los Angeles. However, commuting to work every day can still bring disastrous events, that’s why AIS is here to help! Minnesota require car insurance if you own a vehicle and are out on the road.
Required Minnesota Auto Insurance
The state of Minnesota requires all drivers to have insurance with the following coverages: bodily injury and property damage liability, Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and Uninsured/Underinsured Coverage. These minimum requirements are in place to ensure that you are protected financially in case of a car accident that causes injury or property damage to you or another involved party.
State Minimum Liability Coverage in Minnesota
Your Auto Insurance must have liability coverage with these minimum amounts:
- BI or Bodily Injury: $30,000 per person; $60,000 for injuries to multiple people in an accident
- PD or Property Damage: $10,000 per accident
No Fault Insurance (PIP)
- Medical Coverage: $20,000
- Loss of Income: $20,000
Your PIP insurance will also cover you if you are in someone else’s car. Passengers of your car will be covered by their own PIP insurance if they have it.
There will be a number of people on the road who do not have auto insurance or not enough, even though it is mandatory in Minnesota. This coverage helps pay for your medical costs that is in excess of what your PIP covers.
- Bodily Injuries: $25,000 per person; $50,000 total per accident
Optional Coverage in Minnesota to Consider
The state requirements are the minimum that is required; that means that you have the option to add on other coverages or increase your limits. Most people will add some or all of these coverages because they find that the state required minimums are not enough to cover most accident expenses. The following are some of the additional coverages that you can add onto your Minnesota Auto Insurance Policy:
- Collision - This coverage will assist in paying for damages to your car that result from an accident or collision with another vehicle or object.
- Comprehensive - This will help pay for damages to your car that result from causes other than accidents or collisions.
- Rental Car - When your car is getting repaired, due to an accident or covered cause, this will pay for your car rental expenses. (up to the policy allowance)
- Roadside Assistance - This reimburses your for roadside assistance expenses.
Most Stolen Car Models in Minnesota
According to www.nicb.org, these are the top 10 cars that were stolen in Minnesota for the year 2013. If you own a car that is highly targeted for theft, you may find your car insurance rates increased.
- Honda Accord
- Honda Civic
- Chevrolet Pickup (Full Size)
- Ford Pickup (Full Size)
- Toyota Camry
- Dodge Caravan
- Honda CR-V
- Chevrolet Impala
- Acura Integra
- Ford Taurus
Minnesota Auto Insurance Discounts
When you are shopping for Minnesota auto insurance rates, here are a few discounts that you should be asking about:
- Homeowner’s Discount
- Good Student Discount
- Safe Driver Discount
- Multi-car Discount (i.e. airbags)
- Safety Device Discount
- Anti-theft Discount
- Accident Prevention Course Discount (You must be at least 55 years old to qualify for this minimum 10% discount)
To learn more about specific discounts, visit our Discounts page.
People choose to live in Minnesota because of the gorgeous shoreline views and Minnesota-nice people. There are many scenic roads to explore in all seasons of the year, but all involve driving that exposes you to unforeseeable dangers. Keeping yourself protected financially and legally with the required Minnesota auto insurance will keep your drives peaceful. For those that don’t want to spend days looking for the best rates and coverage amongst hundreds of carriers, AIS is here to help. We do the work for you, searching for the best rates and coverage from our 30+ partners for you. The knowledgeable and licensed professionals at AIS can be an instrumental asset to Minnesota drivers. For information and a free quote on a Minnesota auto insurance policy, call AIS today!
Start a Minnesota Insurance Quote Today: (888) 772-4247