Oregon Auto Insurance
Oregon residents need proper auto insurance… even though the trek through the Oregon Trail isn’t near as dangerous as it was in the 1800’s. But every time you sit behind the wheel, on any road, you’re taking a risk of getting into a collision or being involved in another type of accident. In addition, floods, fire, storms, and vandalism could leave your car with significant damage that you may have to pay for if you don’t have the right auto insurance.
Auto insurance rates in Oregon can vary more than you might think from one insurance company to another. That’s where Auto Insurance Specialists can help-- we’re specialists and happy to share our network and our knowledge with you-- so you can get the coverage you’re looking for at a price you’re comfortable paying.
Use the simple form below for an AIS Instant Quote®. This quote will be a range of our auto insurance partners' rates for the coverage you select and you’ll be ready to choose from our top-rated affordable carriers.
Required Auto Insurance Coverage in Oregon
You would be hard pressed to find a state that doesn’t require its motorists to carry insurance… nearly every state in the US mandates some form of coverage. The types and levels of coverage, however, vary from state to state. In Oregon, drivers must carry liability insurance, personal injury protection, and uninsured motorist coverage. Liability insurance would cover (up to your policy’s limits) the other driver’s medical expenses and property damage following an accident that you were at fault for. Liability insurance excludes any injuries you sustain and damages to your own car. Personal injury protection would help cover some medical expenses you may incur following an accident, regardless of who was at fault. Uninsured motorist coverage would assist you in paying for damages and injuries you sustain if you were to be hit by an uninsured or underinsured motorist.
State Minimum Coverage in Oregon:
- BI or Bodily Injury: $25,000 per person and $50,000 total per accident
- PD or Property Damage: $20,000 per accident
- PIP or Personal Injury Protection: $15,000 per accident
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist: $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident
To learn more about specific auto insurance coverage, visit our Car Insurance Coverage page.
Optional Coverage in Oregon to Consider
Oregon has pretty well-rounded auto insurance requirements (compared to other states), but the state-mandated minimums are missing a few coverage types you may want to add to your own policy. Also, you may want to consider higher limits than those required by the state of Oregon, as driving without enough insurance
Below are some examples you may want to consider:
- Collision Coverage - Liability insurance would not help pay for own car’s damages after an accident, but collision coverage would. Following a collision that you were at fault for, car repair bills could be significant. The national average repair costs following a collision are almost $3,000! Without collision coverage, those costs could be yours to pay alone.
- Comprehensive Coverage - There are many ways your car could sustain damage, and not all of them are from other vehicles. Fire, hail damage, floods, storms, and more could leave you with serious repair bills. Comprehensive coverage could help ease the pressure of those costs.
- Higher Bodily Injury Limits - Accidents that result in injuries can be extremely costly for the at-fault party. Consider ambulance rides, doctor visits, treatment, and other medical bills… the minimum BI insurance may not be enough to cover it all. Choosing a policy with a higher BI limit could save you from substantial medical bills.
- Higher Property Damage Limits - When you consider all the damage that can be done during an accident, the minimum $20,000 PD requirement may not be enough. After car repairs, you must consider light poles, fences, buildings, and more—you may be held responsible for replacing or repairing damage to these kinds of property.
Now, it’s certainly not a legal requirement to buy these levels and types of coverage, but it may benefit you to consider them for your policy.
Oregon Auto Insurance Discounts
You can find discounts on pretty much anything—and auto insurance is no exception. Don’t miss out on money-savers just because you don’t know about them. It’s possible you qualify for more than you think. At AIS, we know auto insurance and auto insurance discounts. We can help you get the right coverage at a great rate.
Examples of these discounts may include:
- Safe driver
- Good student
- Accident free
- And more…
To learn more about specific discounts, visit our Discounts page.
Oregon residents get to enjoy sandy beaches, lush forests, windsurfing, and skiing. But like anywhere you may choose to live, there are hazards that require residents to have insurance protection. AIS can help you find the best rates, and answer your questions on all things auto insurance. We would like to have the opportunity to help you choose the right policy. Call us today to see how we can help with your Start an Oregon Insurance Quote Today: (888) 772-4247.