AIS Update on COVID-19: To all auto insurance customers, insurance companies may be issuing premium reductions and relief. We've provided a list of insurance companies and additional information. Learn more.
The Mount Rushmore State
Compare South Dakota Auto Insurance Quotes From Multiple Companies
South Dakota Auto Insurance
The Mount Rushmore State is named that for a reason. The enormous mountainside sculpture of four former presidents of the United States stands proudly in the state of South Dakota. A predominantly farming and ranching society, this state is bisected by the Missouri River which divides South Dakota into what locals call “East River” and “West River.” You’ll find a few national parks here as well as hot springs. In order to see all of the great sights that South Dakota has to offer, you’ll need to get around in a car. And if you want to legally drive that car in South Dakota, then you need the proper Auto Insurance.
This is where Auto Insurance Specialists can help. We will compare coverage options and rates from several different carriers that you get to choose from. Just try our simple form for an AIS Instant Quote®. You’ll never believe how easy it is to get the best plan at just the right price-tag.
Required Auto Insurance in South Dakota
In South Dakota, Liability Insurance and Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage are required by law. Liability coverage pays for the other driver’s damages and injuries if you’re in an accident in which you’re found at fault. Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage prevents you from having to pay for damage done to your vehicle in the case that you get into an accident with a driver who does not have the proper Auto Insurance or any at all.
Remember, driving without the legally required Auto Insurance can result in fines, jail time, license suspension and more penalties. It’s easier and more affordable to purchase the correct amount of coverage. All you need to do is speak with an AIS Insurance Specialist today.
State Minimum Liability Coverage in South Dakota
- BI or Bodily Injury: $25,000 per person, $50,000 per accident.
- PD or Property Damage: $25,000 per accident
State Minimum Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage in South Dakota
- BI or Bodily Injury: $25,000 per person, $50,000 per accident
To learn more about specific Auto Insurance coverage, visit our Car Insurance Coverage page.
Optional Coverage in South Dakota
While you’re not required by law to carry optional types of coverage available to you, you should educate yourself on what the costs could be out-of-pocket without any additional Car Insurance coverage at all. You may find that paying a few more dollars a month makes more sense for you. Or, you may feel that you’re financially stable enough to pay for an expensive accident if it occurs.
Below are examples of the optional coverages you can add to your policy:
- Collision Coverage*: If you are in a collision involving other vehicles, this coverage helps pay for damages to your car. The average national repair costs after an accident are nearly $3,000, so it’s important to add Collision coverage to your policy if you want to be financially protected in the event of a car accident.
- Comprehensive Coverage*: This coverage will pay for expenses associated with damages to your car as a result of covered losses that are not collision. This type of coverage may compensate for damages caused by flood, fire, hail and vandalism.
- Higher Bodily Injury Limits: The $15,000 per person minimum requirement by law may not be enough to cover the costs of physical injuries incurred in an accident. There are ambulance rides, hospital visits, treatment and more that you could end up footing the bill for. If the limits of your Liability coverage are too low, a victim of a car crash that you cause can go after your other assets in court to help make up the difference in costs for exceptionally high medical bills. That's why it's often prudent to increase the Bodily Injury limits on your Liability policy.
- Higher Property Damage Limits: Some accidents don't involve other vehicles but do include fences, light poles or even buildings. The $10,000 minimum may not be enough to cover all the damage, which you'll have to pay for yourself if you don't have this type of coverage. That total auto repair bill can easily add up to six figures in many cases. This is why it's a good idea to think about raising your Property Damage limits on your Liability policy.
- Medical payments: This coverage will pay for your medical expenses if you are injured in an accident.
- Auto Loan/Lease: The type of coverage helps cover the difference between the amount you owe on your vehicle and the current actual cash value of it.
- Rental Reimbursement: If you do find yourself in an accident, you may not be able to operate your car. This type of coverage pays for your rental car expenses when your car is being repaired from an accident, up to policy limits.
*Although Collision coverage and Comprehensive coverage are not required by law, they may be required in your car loan or lease contract with the lender.
Many times, the minimum state-mandated Auto Insurance requirements are simply not enough to protect you from a disastrous situation. Auto Insurance Specialists can help you determine your specific Auto Insurance coverage needs, so give us a call today.
Most Stolen Car Models in
At AIS, we know that the best you can do to keep your Car Insurance rates low is to drive safely and avoid accidents. But there are some other factors that determine your rates, too. One of these factors is your car’s make and model. If your car is a popular target for theft, your insurance rates may go up. The following are the 10 most stolen cars in 2017 in South Dakota according to nicb.org:
- Chevrolet Pickup (Full Size)
- Ford Pickup (Full Size)
- Dodge Pickup (Full Size)
- Chevrolet Impala
- Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee
- Ford Taurus
- Pontiac Grand Prix
- GMC Pickup (Full Size)
- Honda Accord
- Honda Civic
Licensed Drivers in South Dakota
South Dakota Residents
South Dakota Auto Insurance Discounts
We don’t underestimate how much Car Insurance discounts can lower your premium. Speak with your AIS agent today about the following discounts that are available to South Dakota residents and to find out which ones you may qualify for.
Below are examples of South Dakota Auto Insurance discounts:
- Good Driver
- Good Student
- Driver Training
- Accident Free
- Vehicle Safety
To learn more about specific discounts, visit our Discounts page.
Driving in South Dakota can be a fun adventure, but only if you have the proper Car Insurance protection. Otherwise, you could be digging into your own pocket to pay for car repairs or medical bills that your insurance doesn't cover. That's why Auto Insurance is so important for South Dakota drivers like you. Auto Insurance Specialists can assist you in getting the right amount of coverage at a price that's within your means. Let us satisfy all of your South Dakota Auto Insurance needs!