AIS Update on COVID-19: To all auto insurance customers, insurance companies may be issuing premium reductions and relief. We've provided a list of insurance companies and additional information. Learn more.
The Volunteer State
Compare Tennessee Auto Insurance Quotes From Multiple Companies
Tennessee Auto Insurance
There aren't very many states that can boast fantastic outdoor scenery, a historic music scene and an affordable cost of living. That's why Tennessee is such an attractive place to live and work for millions of people. Still, navigating the state's roads can sometimes be challenging. From rural roads with questionable maintenance to foggy conditions in mountainous areas, there are many hazards out there on the roads. And those dangers don’t even include the hail, rain and snow that could also cause serious accidents or mishaps while you’re driving. That is why state law requires all Tennessee drivers to have Auto Insurance, so you can have some financial protection against the accidents caused by driving.
Auto Insurance rates in Tennessee can vary more than you might think from one insurance company to another. That’s where Auto Insurance Specialists can help!
Try our simple form for an AIS Instant Quote®. This quote will be a range of our Auto Insurance partners' rates for the coverage you select, and you can pick the price you like, too.
Required Auto Insurance in Tennessee
Tennessee drivers need to look out for each other. But in order to provide further protection, state legislators enacted laws to require drivers to buy Liability coverage before they take to the roads. The purpose of Liability coverage is to reimburse other motorists for property damage or medical bills if they are victimized in an accident caused by an at-fault driver. A Liability policy will pay out a claim up to the policy's predetermined limits.
State Minimum Liability Coverage in Tennessee
- BI or Bodily Injury: $25,000 per person, $50,000 per accident
- PD or Property Damage: $15,000 per accident
To learn more about specific Auto Insurance coverage, visit our Car Insurance Coverage page.
Optional Coverage in Tennessee
The good news is that Tennessee only requires drivers to purchase Liability Auto Insurance, which is usually fairly affordable for most drivers. The bad news is that this coverage alone may not be enough to protect drivers from all mishaps that can befall their vehicles. For this reason, it may be wise to look into additional types of coverages that you can add onto your Auto Insurance policy for more financial protection.
Below are some examples of optional coverages you may want to consider:
- Collision Coverage*: If yours is the only vehicle involved in a collision, then Liability Insurance will not pay you to get your car back into operating condition. Collision coverage is designed specifically for this scenario, as well as when you’re in a collision with another vehicle. This type of policy will pay a repair shop whatever amount it takes to fix your vehicle (up to the policy limits, of course).
- Comprehensive Coverage*: Tennessee weather can sometimes be unpredictable. Hail, ice or flooding can often damage vehicles, even when they are just sitting in the driveway or parked by a curb. Comprehensive coverage handles all damage to your car that doesn't occur as the result of a crash. This policy also pays you if your car is stolen or vandalized.
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage: Sadly, there is a significant portion of drivers in Tennessee who choose to disobey the law by choosing not to buy Auto Insurance. Criminal penalties aside, if they collide with your vehicle, you don't have any recourse to get reimbursed for vehicle damage or medical bills, unless you have Uninsured Motorist Coverage. This policy essentially insures you against financial losses suffered at the hands of uninsured drivers.
- Higher Bodily Injury Limits: Imagine that you cause an accident that's more serious than a minor fender bender. Lots of people could get injured, especially if the other vehicle has a family inside and their total medical bills add up quickly. In such a scenario, your minimum Liability coverage limit would be exceeded quickly, and any difference would have to be made up out of your own pocket. With this in mind, you may want to consider purchasing a Liability policy with higher Bodily Injury limits.
- Higher Property Damage Limits: The minimum Property Damage coverage requirement in the state is only $15,000, which won't go very far if you happen to get into a wreck and total someone else's vehicle. The same holds true if you are responsible for a multi-vehicle collision. Increasing your property damage limits to $25,000, $50,000 or higher can protect you against being left with a huge bill from damaging an expensive vehicle.
*Although Collision coverage and Comprehensive coverage are not required by law, they may be required in your car loan or lease contract with the lender.
Again, these are optional coverages that you should consider looking into. You might be surprised at how little the additional cost is to add one or more of these optional coverages to your Auto Insurance policy If you are curious to see what effect they might have on your premium, check with an AIS agent today.
Most Stolen Car Models in Tennessee
There are multiple factors that go into calculating your Auto Insurance premium, including the risk of your car getting stolen. Certain car models attract thieves more than others. According to the www.nicb.org, these are the top 10 cars that get stolen in Tennessee:
- Ford Pickup (Full Size)
- Chevrolet Pickup (Full Size)
- Honda Accord
- Nissan Altima
- Toyota Camry
- Honda Civic
- Chevrolet Impala
- Dodge Pickup (Full Size)
- GMC Pickup (Full Size)
- Nissan Maxima
Tennessee Auto Insurance Discounts
Everybody loves a discount, and there are lots of them available to people who have Auto Insurance in Tennessee. You may even qualify for multiple discounts that can save you hundreds of dollars each year on your premium! Don’t forget to call and AIS Insurance Specialist today to see which discounts you may qualify for.
Examples of Tennessee Car Insurance discounts include:
- Safe Driver
- Good Student
- Accident Free
To learn more about specific discounts, visit our Discounts page.
Since the cost of living in Tennessee is so low, it's easier to acquire the Auto Insurance you need to keep you and your family protected from sudden financial catastrophe. These policies can also help ensure that your vehicle is restored to its working condition as quickly after an accident as possible. To find out more about the policies you need contact the experts at Auto Insurance Specialists. For more than four decades, AIS has been helping people get the coverage they need at a price they can afford. Let AIS fulfil all of your Tennessee Auto Insurance needs.