AIS Update on COVID-19: To all auto insurance customers, insurance companies may be issuing premium reductions and relief. We've provided a list of insurance companies and additional information. Learn more.
The Evergreen State
Compare Washington Auto Insurance Quotes From Multiple Companies
Washington Auto Insurance
From lush forests and sandy beaches to active volcanoes and rugged mountains, Washington is incredibly diverse in its statewide surroundings and varied weather. Snowstorms, hail, fire and floods—in addition to vandalism, collisions and other accidents—are all of concern, and residents should have the proper Auto Insurance coverage for a wide-range of potential mishaps.
With that being said, Auto Insurance rates in Washington can vary more than you might think from one insurance company to another. That’s where Auto Insurance Specialists can help! We’re happy to share our network and our knowledge with you, so you can get the coverage you’re looking for at a price you’re comfortable paying.
Use our simple form for an AIS Instant Quote®. This quote will be a range of our Auto Insurance partners' rates for the coverage you select. Then you’ll get to choose from our top-rated affordable carriers based on the one that best fits your needs.
Required Auto Insurance in Washington
Most states require drivers to carry Auto Insurance, and Washington is no exception. Registered Washington drivers must have Liability Insurance. Liability Insurance is designed to help cover costs that you may incur as a result of an accident. It would help cover injuries to the other people and any damages to their property in the event of a collision that you were at fault for (up to your policy’s limits). Keep in mind that Liability Insurance won’t cover your own personal damages and injuries. For coverage of this kind, you would need to choose a policy above and beyond the minimum, state-mandated Auto Insurance requirements.
State Minimum Liability Coverage in Washington
- BI or Bodily Injury: $25,000 per person, $50,000 per accident
- PD or Property Damage: $10,000 per accident
To learn more about specific Auto Insurance coverage, visit our Car Insurance Coverage page.
Optional Coverage in Washington
Though it is good that Washington requires its drivers to carry some form of Car Insurance, the minimums leave you financially vulnerable in many other areas. We recommend that you consider additional coverage options, and higher limits, as having just the bare minimum Auto Insurance could cost you.
Below are some examples of optional coverages you may want to consider:
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP): PIP coverage is automatically included on your Auto Insurance policy unless you reject it in writing. Auto Insurance companies must offer you PIP coverage, but you can either decline the coverage altogether or choose to buy more. PIP coverage helps pay for injuries to you or passengers involved in an auto accident, regardless of who is at fault.
- Collision Coverage*: Following an accident that you may have been at fault for, this type of coverage would help pay for damages to your own vehicle. Vehicle damage repairs are costly in general, but the national average repair costs following an accident is nearly $3,000! Without Collision coverage, you would have to pay for these costs yourself.
- Comprehensive Coverage*: Damages to your car are not always caused by a collision. Consider hail, fire, flooding and more that could damage your car. These types of damages won’t be covered without Comprehensive coverage.
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage: A driver without Auto Insurance could cause a wreck and leave you picking up the pieces. You may have to pay for the damages that he or she caused. 16% of Washington drivers are uninsured, which is about 1 in 6 drivers that are putting you at risk of paying for something that wasn’t even your fault. With this type of coverage, your insurance company would help pay for damages caused by an uninsured or underinsured motorist.
- Higher Bodily Injury Limits: After an accident, medical assistance may be needed. And following a serious accident, injuries and their expenses are likely to be serious, too. The minimum $25,000 per person may not be enough to cover ambulance rides, doctor visits, treatment and more. Additional BI coverage could protect you from these considerable costs.
- Higher Property Damage Limits: It may be in your best interest to increase the $10,000 minimum Liability coverage requirement. In addition to vehicle repair costs, you may have to pay for other damaged property including light poles, fences, buildings and more. Without higher PD limits, you may quickly exhaust that minimum amount and be required to pay the additional costs out of your own pocket.
*Although Collision coverage and Comprehensive coverage are not required by law, they may be required in your car loan or lease contract with the lender.
Though these additional types and levels of coverage are not legally required of Washington drivers, you should consider them for your policy. Speak with an Insurance Specialist at AIS today for help on deciding which coverages are right for you.
Most Stolen Car Models in Washington
There are multiple factors that go into calculating your Auto Insurance premium, including the risk of your car getting stolen. Certain car models attract thieves more than others. According to the www.nicb.org, these are the top 10 cars that get stolen in Washington:
- Honda Accord
- Honda Civic
- Ford Pickup (Full Size)
- Subaru Legacy
- Toyota Camry
- Honda CR-V
- Acura Integra
- Chevrolet Pickup (Full Size)
- Toyota Corolla
Licensed Drivers in Washington
Washington Auto Insurance Discounts
The right Auto Insurance policy can be of great financial assistance to you in the event of an accident or other car-damaging situation. Though Car Insurance is both crucial and valuable, there’s no reason you should be overpaying for it. A great way to cut costs on your premium is by taking advantage of the Auto Insurance discounts offered to you. Our licensed and knowledgeable agents can assist you in discovering which discounts you qualify for.
Examples of some Washington Car Insurance discounts may include:
- Safe Driver
- Good Student
- Accident Free
To learn more about specific discounts, visit our Discounts page.
Though Washington is stunning, with greatly varied surroundings in every corner of the state, residents need to be prepared for the unexpected. As with anywhere in the country, Washington carries potential risks and hazards that require Auto Insurance protection. For a great source of reliable information and quality insurance carriers, call AIS. We can help you with all of your Washington Car Insurance needs!